Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between the levels of ski courses?

Once you have covered the concepts introduced in Level 1 and know the basic framework of ideas, the difference between the ski courses then becomes a question of degree rather than of kind. Whilst you as a skier must change if you are to improve, it is important to appreciate that from the most basic to the very highest levels of skiing, fundamental technical concepts never change; their application is adapted and refined as the skier progresses and different situations are encountered, but the message stays the same. It follows therefore that there is a natural overlap between Levels1 and 2, rather than a clear cut distinction and Level 2 at its top end can merge into Advanced. Our Advanced skiers represent a broad but accomplished category (groups within groups, if you like), with their own elite which you have to be invited to join.  If in doubt about your current level of skiing, please don't hesitate to contact us since it is important to recognise we are working on the same principles no matter how well or how badly you think you ski at present.

I can't manage a whole week's ski course and in any case prefer private tuition. Can I arrange such lessons with you?

Of course you can. These are Personal Performance Clinics (PPCs). Outside the group schedule, we can arrange half day private lessons on Saturday mornings, which will provide an intensive introduction to our system or act as revision if you have been with us before.  Additional lessons can be arranged on Sunday mornings if time allows. Private lessons will cost more pro rata than a group lessons, as you would expect from a one to one, reducing in price for additional members, up to a maximum of four. There may also be possibilities during the mid-winter school holidays, if we stay in the resort. Please enquire by email for dates and prices.

Which ski lift pass do I need?

Buy the area pass which covers both ski resorts, Tignes and Val D'Isere. See . Or go in person to an STGM office on arrival if you prefer. You should also take the Carte Neige insurance usually offered at the same time, for ski related accidents.

Can I book a ski course with you online?

It may seem unusual in the 21st C, but no. In the nature of our business, we prefer to keep contact as personal as possible, even if it is only by email or phone, since booking a Clinic is not the same as ordering retail online and skiing questions invariably need to be answered individually. Payments are also handled off-line. You should contact us initially by email or by phone/text +44 (0)7708 189 521 (see Booking page for details).

When do I need to arrive at the resort for the skiing course?

Your travel arrangements should allow you to be in Tignes by Sunday afternoon at the latest. This gives you time to collect your skis and passes in time for the Monday morning start. If you are delayed for any reason and can't attend the Sunday 5.30 ski course introduction meeting, please text (preferably) +44 7708 189 521. If you arrive so late that everything is closed, the ski shop and lift office are usually open at 08.00 Monday morning.

Is there any recommended ski hire

We only recommend Sport 2000, Rue de la Poste, Telephone 0033 47 906 3344. Email Website They speak English. Ask for Jean-Charles and mention that you are attending an Ali Ross ski course.  See additional information on Courses/dates page for more details.

Tignes is a big ski resort. Where should I book accommodation?

We don't handle either accommodation or travel (clients make their own arrangements) but we offer some guidance on the Accommodation page) for Tignes le Lac (the centre) or Le Lavachet. There is a short list of hotels popular with our clients.  If you are looking for self-catering, we recommend you start your search earlier rather than later for the 2021/22 season because it looks like this form of accommodation will be popular, post-crisis.    In general, Val Claret or the lower villages are not convenient for accommodation, unless you are prepared to take the bus or drive to le Lac or Lavachet, where the ski courses meeting points are. And the weather can sometimes be bad enough to close the link roads.  Lavachet is slightly less expensive than le Lac. The best advice is to look at the Tignes websites, starting with Tignes Tourist Office.

Do I need any special equipment for any of the ski courses?

For Advanced ski courses especially, please bring your own transceivers if you have them. We supply transceivers for those who don't own one, but it is well worth the relatively modest outlay to have a personal transceiver, which you can practise with if you know someone who has one too. We always have a practice session with them on the course in any case to remind you how to use them.

Is there anything else important to remember?


European Health Insurance Card. Check the expiry date. Its validity must cover the dates you are abroad. As part of the deal announced on 24 December 2020, the UK and the EU agreed that the cards can still be used until their expiry dates. After that, the government will issue a new Global Heath Insurance Card (GHIC) which will replace the EHIC for the majority of UK citizens. Its validity must cover the dates you are abroad.  Renewals are free from the DWP.

Top up health insurance

Many people don't know that the EHIC only covers about 70-80% of emergency treatment in France.  

Carte Neige insurance 

Carte Neige insurance - You can buy this with your lift pass and it is very inexpensive for the level of cover provided.  If you get carted off the mountain, the pisteur service like to see it as proof of insurance, but it covers ski accidents only, so if you slip on ice in the street and hurt yourself, it won't cover that. Carry all the above documents with your lift pass. NB. Carre Neige is a different insurance and is not as comprehensive as the Carte Neige. Please check for yourselves online the official small print. 

All of the above assumes you have comprehensive travel insurance before you leave.

How do I pay for the ski course?

We accept pounds sterling by interbank electronic transfer or by cheque if necessary. An e-invoice will be sent giving payment details. No payments are made via the website. 
If you pay in Euros, the amount due depends on the exchange rate at the time of booking, so please enquire if you are paying from the Eurozone.